Thursday, April 28, 2011

Thoughts about Melbourne

4/27

I am sitting at Southern Cross station in Melbourne very ready to explore Queensland. My time in melbourne has been very enjoyable. It seems like the perfect city to go to school and to live. I would not mind spending a few years here myself. Although it is about 3 times the city of Philadelphia, it has about 30 murders a year...just 1/10 of Philadelphia. The public transportation is excellent. While it does not have subways, the tram cars and train system are widespread. More importably, the cycling paths are widely found. Although large, it is manageable, clean, cosmopolitan, and appealing in every other way. This would certainly be place I would spend more time  if I had it. Spending just 17 days in Australia, I have no regrets spending 3 in Melbourne.

Today I woke nice and early to see the city centre. I walked through the royal botanical garden on my own walking tour. It truly was the best city garden I have ever seen...although I don't think cities in the states have city gardens. Either way, there were thousands of types of plants, 15,000 in fact. You feel quite removed from the city, even though it is less than 20 minutes from the city centre. I was especially impressed with a row of trees planted from various English royalty. Australia and New Zealand's strong ties to England still fascinate me. Both nations have governor generals, individuals who are technically the top in command (although they do not actually do much). However, these governors are selected by the queen, not by the people. Even though the nations are independent, they are considered constitutional monarchies of the commonwealth. They are not republics and do not have their own constitutions. Michael mentioned the nation had a referendum a few decades ago. However, the referendum did not pass...preventing the nation from becoming a republic. I believe this is still true with Puerto Rico.

After exploring the botanical garden, I spent a little time by the ANZAC memorial. A large shrine, it was built to commemorate the soldiers who gave their lives on ANZAC day. I continued my day through the Carlton gardens where the exhibition center resides. A world heritage site, it is one of the most beautiful buildings I have seen on this trip.

The melbourne museum was very informative and just as entertaining. I learned more about the aboriginal people. Specifically, their art, traditions, musical instruments, and I learned more are about the injustice to the people in the 20th century. The aboriginal people are similar to the Native Americans as each tribe has a distinct tounge. Ther are hundreds, possibly thousands of dialects. I imagine this made governing very difficult! As America, the native people were killed directly and through disease. A sad history, they do appear more readily society that Native Americans. For example, there are aboriginals in professional sports.

I spent a significant amount of time learning about Melbourne's history as well. The city is fairly young, as is the nation. Competing with Sydney, it was the reason Victoria was recognised as a colony. The city has truly boomed the past 100 years and it has adapted by sprawling out and upwards with plenty of high rises. I find the high rise buildings very vibrant and attractive. Many are situated on the waterfront and in the middle of the city. They are much more attractive than the high rises in the U.S. I think this is one of the main reasons the city is so much more attractive to me. The skyline is complete with newly built and renovated buildings.

The Yarra rive has also changed its role. Instead of dividing the city, as in the past, it is an artery to the cultural and business centres. It feeds the centre at Federation Square, where you will find St. Pauls, the city train station, the  cricket grounds, and botantical gardens.

I also learned a signifcant amount about the geological and biological history of melbourne and australia. Australia fascinates me because of its evolutionary history. While the Americans primary have placental animals (except for the hideous opossum), Australia has marsupials of every shape and size. From dingos to pigmy possom, all of the native animals have pouches! I learned that there were other animals, much larger than also had pouches. I hope to see some wombats or kangaroos when I travel outside of Sydney, if not I might just go to the sydney zoo! I also got a look at the preserved Kiwi bird...since I did not spend the money or my time to see one in New Zealand. They do look quite different from the weka!

 Metro map of public transport 







 Michael in his wine cellar
City library 

No comments:

Post a Comment