Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Wairoa to Napier...I think I'm getting a hang of this

April 4th -
75 mies (619 miles total)

Today was probably one of the hardest days that I have had this trip. I cycled more or less nonstop from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, knocking out an intense 8 hour day of cycling. While it took reallly long to get to Napier, I do think I am significantly stronger than when I first stepped on the plane two weeks ago. The hills here seem to be a bit larger than along the East Cape. I climbed two hills that were about 500 m high. I do not know what constitutes a mountain, but it certainly felt like I climbed a one and not a hill!

It is incredible how well my body feels after so many miles of work too. I am eating very well and much of the credit must go to my hosts. Tonight I stayed with with a warm showers host in the middle of Napier, Graeme. Getting in just before dark, he treated me to a never ending pasta bowl and a delicious warm pear and yogurt dessert. As a warm showers host, Graeme has done some extensive touring as well. It was very refreshing talking to another touring cyclist and we shared our stories and compared notes.

While my body has held up amazingly, my bike has not. My back rack fell to pieces today as a part of it snaped of from the weight of my two panniers and tent. No worries though! Although I had 29 miles left to Napier, I managed to bind my rack to my bike safely. I purchased a new bike rack today at no significant cost. With steel components, I do not think I will have any additional trouble with it. Concerning the marin four corners, I have had a no problems and could not have hoped for a better bike.

Napier is a beautiful city, right along Hawks Bay. Devasted from an earthquake and resulting fire in the 1930s, Napier rebuilt buildings in an art-deco style. Brightly colored buildings, an excellent long cycleway, and coastal access...it is a choice city (as New Zealanders would put it).


View Untitled in a larger map


 Sun rise along hawks bay
 Gooooood morning!
 Wild cows roaming the street

 View through the forest
 Halfway to Napier...second hill of the day
 View from the drivers seat

 See the road at the bottom?

How about now?


 Ohh there it is!
 On the way to Napier
Home for the night

No comments:

Post a Comment