Sunday, April 10, 2011

Off to the South Island!

Wellington to Picton, Picton to Pelorus Bridge


April 9th -
Picton to Preston Bridge - 37 miles ( 801 miles total)

The ferry ride over to the South island was relatively uneventful. We meandered our way in and out of the different sounds. After getting just 5 hours of sleep (I woke at 5:30 AM), I took a few naps on the ferry. It was amazing riding my bike off the ferry. Grouped in with all of these motorcycles and cars and trucks, it is very rewarding to be capable of just riding off of the ferry and going where I please.

I refueled with bread and peanut butter and was soon off. I decided to go towards Nelson. One, it is suggested in the lonely planet. Two it guarantees a faster access to the West Coast. I hope to get to Queenstown so I have to be careful with my time. I fly to Australia the 25th, so I only have two weeks to travel on the South Island. Timing will be very important. I am still debating whether to go to Nelson or go straight through to the next stop…I will see how I feel tomorrow. I am lucky to have spent so much time with local new Zealanders. However, I do not really have too many hosts on the West Coast so I think it would be good to stay in Nelson for at least one night.

This afternoon I saw a kiwi! I was making my dinner with this French woman and was looking out the window to see a kiwi bird! I know most of the local people have never seen one so I am very lucky! It is quite an unusual bird. They do not have any feathers and kind of lean and run. They are also quite small…all in all very lucky to have seen one.


View Untitled in a larger map


 Downtown Wellington

 Hanging out with Mathias before we head off!

 The sounds of the South Island
 Kia Ora!
 A view from above of Picton

 Don't forget it!
 A quaint Anglican church


 I decided to go for a short hike...to this suspension bridge.
View from the inside the brush

No comments:

Post a Comment