Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Westport to Greymouth (Rapahoe)

4/12/11

72 miles (1046 miles)

Today I moved towards the coast to begin a coastal ride. After saying farewell to Graham and his family, I cycled to the a seal colony at cape foulwind. After taking a few photos, I was greeted by another young traveler, William from Sardina Italy! William, who has travled through Southeast Asia by bike, has extensive travel experience. I shared him my travel plans abroad and in NZ and we had a cup of tea in his camper van with his travel mates from Germany and Israel. What a great group! Just a few minutes later, I was soon greeted by a local coal miner/ cyclist/ west port local who asked me about my trip and my travel plans. We cycled a few km and said farewell. What a morning!

The ride today was a bit of a tough one. I climbed a few 200 m hills, Pakii and Perpendicular pt. There were many very impressive views. I passed by pancakes rocks and various small islands. There were also plenty of historical mining cities...Runanga, Charleston, among others. The ride along the coast was incredible. For 14 km, I rode up and down various long climbs and descents as I meandered my way through the various coastal bays.

At the end of the day I stayed with a family right outside of greymouth. Will, his wife, and four children were more than generous in providing me with a scrumptious meal and a place to sleep for the night. Will, who has traveled around the world three times, was great compan. We finished the night with some cookies and milk before another long day of riding.


View Untitled in a larger map





 Checking out the seal colony 
 All of the seals!
 William and his travel mate
 Views of the west coast 


 Cycling break...very tempted to take a dip 
View from the top of the climb 



My host family for the night!

No comments:

Post a Comment