Sunday, April 10, 2011

Day off in Wellington

Two days ago I said my farewell to the North Island. I really enjoyed my stay in Wellington and will miss the city and the North Island. Wellington is very unique, unlike any city I have ever seen. Consisting of numerous hills, the homes are situated on top of numerous hills looking down onto a bay, where are all the shops and commercial properties are located.

I spent my day getting my things together, uploading my pictures, and walking around the city (no biking today!). I spent a few hours in the national museum, te papa, learning about the indigenous animals and birds, the history of the maori people, and the recent history of New Zealand. New Zealand parallels the U.S. in many ways. However, it is a much younger nation...gaining its independence in 1947. New Zealand has a much different demographic as well. I did not realize the inflow of people from other pacific islands, but Auckland has the largest Polynesian population in the world. I also learned about the native plants and animals of the island. I learned the state of wildlife before man came…about the different flightless birds. It was also very interesting how the only mammals indigenous to the island are three bats.

Furthermore, I learned about the Maori culture in depth and the differences they still have with the European settlers. I learned of the Marre, the meeting place of the people. The range of musical instruments was especially astounding. I have never seen anything like their architecture as well, native dance, tattoos, language, and jewelry. One piece of work that was especially interesting is a wooden staff, which they use to recount oral history of their ancestors. Each notch represents a generation which they can recount.

The history of immigration is especially comparable to the U.S. The main difference is instead of Mexicans coming to the nation, there are pacific islanders. I had no idea their were so many immigrants from the nations. Their was a station of individual islanders recount their experiences and assimilation into New Zealand. New Zealand appears to be the educational and work hub for all of these settlers. However, historically they have been united through times of war and natural disaster. While they each have their own cultural and island identity, they are united as the nations of the South Pacific.

New Zealand has broken its ties from the U.K. and U.S. for all intensive purposes.  They used to have a large trade agreement, but have opposed nuclear proliferation and no longer have as strong of trade ties. It seems like they make due though.

At the end of the day, I got the chance to enjoy a potluck at Sarahs house. There were numerous Americans and New Zealanders. I got a chance to talk with Sarahs family about their travels, her sister and her husband. I also got to enjoy many great foods…lots of cheese, ice cream, a bit of wine, and some lasagna. I met a guy from New Jersey, guy from England, and  spoke to a few others who have lived and traveled in the U.S. I spoke extensively about touring on my bike and the joys and costs. We spoke about developing a train system in New Zealand and about developing a national cycle way. All in all, a great time, but it is time to move along!






No comments:

Post a Comment