Thursday, April 7, 2011

Otane to Woodville

50 Miles - (714 miles total)

Today I planned on cycling to Masterton and staying with a couchsurfing host. Although it is nearly 100 miles from Otanae to Masterton, it is very flat compared to what I have cycled thus far. However, I did not anticipate the winds. An almost constant force, I have battled riding head on through the wind. It is almost like cycling through pudding. I actually prefer cycling up a hill!

Either way, I progressed throughout the day and fittingly I ended up in Woodville, the wind capital of New Zealand. If you know me well enough, you know that I am passionate about wind energy. Exhausted and running out of sunlight, I had  the option to set up camp early and prepare dinner or right up even more hills and see the wind turbines up close for the first time in my life. Of course, I chose to see the turbines!



View Untitled in a larger map

 Christopher and Julias Chicklets 
 The ducks patrolling the grouds 



 The turbines from afar 

 Guess which way the wind blows

Face shotttt
 Speechless 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Pete. I am just amazed that you are still biking this consistently and blogging about it. It does sound like it is much harder to bike through wind than biking uphill. Regardless, you made it through. As usual, it take both sound mind and sound body to keep pushing on.

    ReplyDelete