Monday, April 25, 2011

Goodbye New Zealand

4/24

Tomorrow I leave for Australia. Just a few minutes ago I went through and felt my first earthquake. It was not a strong one, but I certainly felt the house shake. It was comprable to the rumble from a nearby train. Today I relaxed by starting off with an Easter Sunday service at St. Christopher's Anglican church. It was interesting seeing and experiencing the difference between St. Thomas back home and St. Chris's. I met a local family and told them about my aspirations. I think this will be another great way to meet the locals and hope to go to a service, even on the road, as much as posible.

This afternoon I spent time with Michal and a few of her friends, eating chocolate and watching movies. The leg is feeling better and I know my quad muscles appreciate the rest. Although I would have enjoyed riding for another few days, you have to listen to your body. Yesterday i went for a light spin. The leg fells a bit better, but I am certainly not 100%. So the rest will continue on into Australia.

I got a chance to see a bit of Christchurch yesterday as well. I went directly into the town centre, walked through the botanical gardens and saw the damage from the earthquake. I will post pictures of the damage to give you an idea. Much thanks to Michal, Em, Ryan, Drew,  and urtle! You guys are awesome, thanks for spending time with me and letting me stay in your flat for so long. The leg feels much better1

In reflection, there are many recommendations I can make, but these are the ones I would like to point out about so far:

1. Couchsurfing and warmshowers are the way to travel. I have met the people, learned about the intricacies of the culture, and avoided wasting my time and money at tourist traps. Although hostels can be fun, you are spending time with other foreigners and not really learning about the country. Camp grounds can also be enjoyable and often there are locals...such as with the Coops!
2. Camping has been fun in doses. In cycling touring, camping is as much of the work as the cycling. It was worth the money to invest in decent camping supplies.
3. New Zealand is hilly. I cannot say this enough. If you want to cycle somewhere to cross a country, go the luxemberg or train your butt off with hills. It is no walk in the park.
4. Research! I am happy I looked at my routes ahead of time. Investing in lonely planet guides or looking online at other's own journeys is my suggestion. It is critical to know what towns you will stay, where the best camp sites are, and what the safest and most scenic roads are.









Me, Em, Michal, and Ryan...you guys are awesome hosts!


Me and my friend urtle...what a wonderful pet

Finally, I would like to thank everyone that has gotten me this far. Every New Zealander and traveler that I have met, you all have gotten me through this leg of the trip. Travelling alone, on a bike, with fifty some pounds of supplies has been a true test of my physical endurance. However, it has been much more a mental and emotional test. Without the help of the people I have met along the way, I would not be in Australia right now. Thank you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment