Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Gillipsie Beach to Fox Glacier

4/15
15 miles (1203 miles total)

I failed to mention in my last post where I stayed tonight. After arriving in Fox Glacier, I rode another 25 k to the shore, where there was a free DOC campste. Through 12 km of windy, narrow, dirt roads I made it the beach by the moonlight and my cycling lights.

In the morning, I was quite happy with the site. Complete with a covered picnic area, I spent the morning resting and cooking massive quantities of food, tea, and chai latte. The rain subsided in the afternoon and I enjoyed a pleasant walk along the beach.

Today I recognized that my legs may need more than one day of rest. I have noticed increasing pain in my right quad. Although it appears to go away after warming up my legs, it is becoming more and more persistant. I took the day to just do some light riding to Fox Glacier.

In the morning I also spent some time talking to an Israeli and German girl who are travelling together. It was interesting listening to their future life plans as well as their travel plans in NZ. I was interested to hear the Israelis thoughts on serving in the military as I know of some Americans who have chosen to serve. They head off in the rain and I wished them the best travels.

I finished the day in Fox Glacier Holiday park. Riding in dry weather, I set up camp in the holiday park. Ready for a warm shower and another hot meal, I was more than happy to spend the $17 for the camp spot. Also, riding to the campsite I passed a few skydivers taking a group photo. All 40 of them gave me a nice cheer along the way. Although a small gesture, it sure felt great.

Overall, toady was a bit rough, despite seeing the West Coast beach. My little netbook has had its last go. A bit of a luxury, it was great while it lasted. Also, the problem with my quad has been a downer. Thirdly, if you ever tour here...I would not suggest camping in Fox Glacier. The weather changes so frequently and it is always pretty nasty. I think it rained five separate times over the two days here. Finally, the sandflies are nasty litte insects. I have experienced nothing like them...They are like knats, they will swarm you, but they have a bite like a mosquito sting. The worst part about them is there are so many! No matter what you do, there will be another swarm ready to hunt you down.

On that note, I hope for a better day tomorrow.

 West coast beach 
 Self shot in my other grey shirt 
 Look! Mount Cook in the background. 

 Wild cow crossing 
 Fox glacier in the background 

1 comment: