Saturday, April 2, 2011

Welcome to Gisbourne!

April 2nd -
After getting to Gisbourne, I said my farewell to Mat, Anabelle, and Sarah. It was such a relief meeting other cyclists and spending some time with others while in the isolated East Cape. Yesterday afternoon, I also met up with my couch surfing host, Catherine. I had made arrangements to stay with her the following day, but she was kind enough to have me a day earlier! I soon caught her up on my travels and we shared stories of her couch surfing experiences and my travels in the states and abroad. Soon enough, I was sound asleep! Today, we had quite a busy day despite the rain. We visited a local souvenir shop that makes handmade green stone jewelry. The green stone, found on the west coast of the south island, was prized by the native Maori. After, we visited a number of wineries and even tried out the Gisbourne Brewery for some beer tasting. Surprisingly, we found Mat, Anabele, and Sarah at the wine tastings as well! We had a great time trying the different wines from the Bushmere Estates and Matawhero Wines. Also, since Sarah lives in Wellington, I may be meeting here later in my travels as well. After the tastings, Catherine and I made one of my favorite dishes...tortilla soup (thanks for the recipe Holly!). Catherine has had over 40 couch surfers and has a great collection of recipes, which I soon contributed too.

Today, I am back on the road to Wairoa. In a week I hope to be in Wellington, crossing the ferry to the South Island. Thanks for following my blog and please leave comments!

 Catherine and Me at Bushmores for wine tasting
 Gisbourne Brewery 
Good thing I didn't cycle today!

1 comment:

  1. Pete, You did not mention how the bike was holding up in the last leg of your trip. Hope all is well. Mom

    ReplyDelete