Sunday, April 3, 2011

Gisbourne to Wairoa

Sunday April 3rd -
60 miles (544 miles total)


Today I had fantastic day of riding through the countryside. After a tasty avocado and toast breakfast with Catherine, I my early morning send off. I think resting my legs for the day really helped! I had a rough 500 m climb today, but I made it to Wairoa well before sunset.

My host for the night is a couch surfer, Josie and her husband Paul. They have been so very hospitable..providing me with a room with a bed and a delicious dinner and breakfast. We talked extensively about our past travels and future travel plans. Josie and Paul spent 8 full months in South America traveling all over Chile, Argentina, Peru, Ecuador, Columbia and Bolivia. The craziest thing I learned last night was that many dog walkers walk up to 16 dogs at a time in Buenos Aires, Argentina. This is especially surprising since I spent this past year walking dogs to raise money for this cycling adventure! It was also daylight savings time yesterday which was pretty cool since I had it a few weeks ago in PA. We fell back an hour, which I cannot complain about.

You might be curious what my day-to-day is like since I have talked mainly about my daily highlights. Here is a basic schedule:

AM
6:00 - Wake up and eat breakfast
8:00 - Hit the road to my next destination
8:00 - 12:00 - Ride, snack, ride, take a few pictures
PM
12:00 - Lunch time!
12:00 - 5:00 - Ride, ride, ride, snack,snack,
5:00 - Arrival in my new destination, meet my host/ set up camp
5:00 - 9:00 - Chat, eat dinner, prepare for bed, update blog

Today I have a 120 km day...which will be a bit longer since I have a number of 200 m hills and a larger 400 m hill to climb. Sorry for the lack of photos, you can also take a look at them on my facebook. I have a few more albums because they upload much faster, but I will soon enough upload them to piccasa and the blog.


View Untitled in a larger map



 Flat ride to warm up

 Resting atop the hill
 Hockeypockey Ice Cream...mmmmhmmm

 Storm brewing

 Wild deer? Nope, red tailed domestic deer!

Some stags keeping an eye out on me 
The  view from the house



Josie, my couch surfing host...in front of her home

No comments:

Post a Comment