Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Greymouth to Harihari

4/13
72 miles (1118 miles total)

After stocking up on supplies in Greymouth, I rode through the city to head off to Harihari. The ride was initially very flat, but I had to overcome a few hills after I passed the last large town before my remote ride, Hotitika. Hotitika, know for its Wildfoods festical, in which the gastronomically curious feast on huhu grubs, wasp larvae ice cream among other interesting insect treats. I explored the small city a bit, venturing into town and exploring the West Coast Historical museum. The west coast is very famous for its green stone. The museum discusses the historical significance among the Maori people. It also has an in depth focus on the immigration to New Zealand during the gold rush.

I passed through Ross, known for the largest gold nugget found in NZ. I ended my day by cycling through vast thick forest, ultimately ending at lake ianthe, just a few km outside Harihari. Although the night turned out to be a rainy one, I met a nice Chilean couple who are waiting for residency in Australia. As I ventured on the dock, I peered into the clear water to see my first wild freshwater eel! What a sight...apparently, since they are illegal to hunt, there are massive quantities in the lack. A food prized by maori, they have an interesting mating ritual in which they travel hundreds of miles out into the Pacific ocean to breed. If they do not breed, they live out to 60 years in the lakes!


View Untitled in a larger map


 Right outside of greymouth

 The booming city of greymouth
 Hokitika, home of the wildfoods
 Greenstone Maori pieces
 Original caravan to the west coast...too bad they didn't have bikes

 Through the forest
 Dinosaur trees!


Lakeside camping
My fellow neighbors for the night!

No comments:

Post a Comment