Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Wanaka to Christchurch

4/20
0 miles!

Today I got my first taste of traveling by bus. It looks as if my trip is evolving into something quite new. I found it rather enjoyable today to travel by bus to simply compare my experience on the bike.

I spent this morning getting my things together and spending some time with the other travelers. Just from the sight of it, backpacking does look enjoyable in many ways. But I find it nuts how much stuff these people carry. I find it much more comfortable on the side of my bike.

Cyclin certainly provides you with a freedom, empowering feeling of the ability to go anywhere at your own will. This is something you lose via bus. There were quite a number of scenic views I would have stopped at! Nevertheless, my new journey continues to rest my leg. I am brainstorming some ideas of where to go and format a new itinerary. Although I would rather cycle through Australia is quite a large place and it may not be such a bad idea to travel by train. If I had more time, I would have liked to get a 6 month unlimited travel train pass.

My tentative plans are:

Melbourne - 4/25 to 4/29
Victoria National Park (Croajingalong, Coopracambia) - 4/29 to 5/3
Coffs Harbour, NSW - 5/4 to 5/10
Sydney - 5/10 to 5/13

I am staying in Christchurch with Michal, the daughter of Jillian and Kevin, my warmshowers hosts from Tauranga. I know the city is in a bad state, but I do hope to learn as much as I can about its history and future plans.


View Untitled in a larger map


 My normal breakfast..oats and peanut butter

 On the bus I go
 View of the lake...can't say this could ever get boring


Say hello to urtle....urtle the turtle! 

No comments:

Post a Comment