Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Murchison to Westport

4/11/11
60 miles (974 miles total)

I actually rode close to 140 km today since I began before Murchison. Overall, it was mostly downhill, so it was not nearly as strenous as it might seem. I went through the small towns of Murchison and Inangahua Junction. Both towns suffered from earthquakes in the 20th centuries and have plenty of reminders of such on the hillsides. There was also an ambitious railway project intending to go through Nelson to Westport, but only made it as far as Kawatini Junction. I rode along the Buller River, riding through the Buller Gorge. It was quite exhilarating riding through the roads that were cut directly into the cliff side. Riding along the river in itself was astounding as the views were just remarkable.

After exiting the gorge, I had my first glimpse of the Southern Alps and the West Coast shoreline! I camped in my second TOP 10 Holiday park tonight. I ate my supper with an Australian family traveling around the South Island via camper van. I spoke mostly to the family about the trip and they were very interested in my mode of transport. I told them about my travels...the friendly people, wild scnoery and my ambitious cycling plans in Australia as well. Graham gave me plenty of suggestions and even offered me to stay at his home for the night. Unfortunately, I will be leaving NZ before they arrive.


View Untitled in a larger map



Emu sighting!

 Site along buller river

 Lunch time

 Kiwis love the red deer...no need for a high fence with these guys


 Road along the cliff side
 Buller gorge view
 Few km from Westport!

 First view of the west coast 
Sure beats the facilities at the DOC site....

No comments:

Post a Comment