Friday, April 1, 2011

Lakeside to Beachside...

March 28th -
42 miles - 249 Total

Today was nothing short of amazing! It took me awhile to get going since it rained last night. My rain fly also came off because it was so windy. I am going to need to do a better job at tying it down. I also met a local this morning who was riding. He was a former Australian Olympic road cyclist! We talked about the excellent cycling in the area and he told me I could stay at his place if needed. What a friendly guy! I decided not to do any touristy things in Rotoura. In a lot of ways, I have done many of the things they have offered. A volcano blew in the end of the 19th century and covered a village...however I have seen both pompei and Herculaneum in Italy, which is a different time period but similar site. So I decided to get to Matata along the ocean and see the beach..I have not spent too much time and thought it would be great to check it out. The ride to the camp site was incredible. I had a fantastic time along the extra lakes (Rotoiti and Rotoma) and took lots of breathtaking pictures and eating ice cream. I think I am going to try to eat a nice ice cream cone each day.

The ride consisted of a few rolling hills, but much of it was downhill...so it was very relaxing.  Im ade it the camp site around 4 and bough an L & P (Lemon and Paeroa) and some cheese. I set up camp soon after and cooked up a feast of curry soup, baked beans and rice w/soup mix. It really hit the spot. The stars are also incredible here. I do not think I have ever seen them this bright...even in South Dakota...


View East Cape in a larger map


 Morning view


 Feijoas...yum

 Day at the office
 Down I goooo

 Lake Rotita
 Ice cream break!


  My backyard for the night!

No comments:

Post a Comment