Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Melbourne to Brisbane, day off in Sydney

4.28

Had a pretty exhausting day today. Rode the train from 8:00 PM to 8:00 AM yesterday to today from Melbourne to Sydney. It did not help carrying half of my supplies by foot. It sure helps the back when you have panniers to carry your luggage.

Sydney is one of the more beautiful cities I have ever visited. Situated along Sydney Harbour, the suburbs and city are located around various coves and bays. The day began a bit wet and overcast. I finally found a suitable ground cloth. It only took me one nation and one large city to find it! After my shopping spree, I began the day's walking tour across the Sydney Harbour bridge. Perfect to view the skyline, it was interesting to know that in 2001, the people of Sydney completed a walk of reconciliation to apologize to the aboriginal people.

I explored the city centre, the rocks section of the city, which is located in old sydney. It is hard to believe that Australia was not even colonized until 1790, after the U.S. gained independence. The city, like melbourne, is very attractive. The one building I think of when I think of Sydney is the Opera House. I not only saw the outside, but also the inside concert hall! I am not an architect nor have I taken any advanced art history class, but the building really is one of a kind and really a piece of art. I have felt like a true tourist these past two days and am ready to get on my bike, especially after getting a taste of touring in melbourne. While I agree it was necessary to check out the opera house, I am missing the road more and more each day.

By the end of the day my feet were on the verge of forming blisters. I walked through the royal botantical garden, just part to see the art museum. Just as impressive as Melbourne's, there were two differences...the cockatoos and bats. There must have been hundreds, maybe thousands of bats in the trees. I think they may have been some type of fruit bat since they were resting mostly on an exotic fruit tree.

To end the day, I checked out some 19th century and 20th aboriginal and australian art at the NSW Art museum. I enjoyed the aboriginal the most. Primarily using dark shades of red, black, and white...I felt I learned about the basic thematic issues and style of aboriginal art. Australian art in general varies as any European art gallery.

I am on the train to Brisbane now, making my way into the last state of my little tour. I will rest tomorrow, before heading towards the sunshine coast.


View Melbourne to Sydney in a larger map


 Welcome to Sydney!
 Central Station 

 City skyline 
 The opera house! 
 This guy wanted some of my lunch....it was hard to resist 

 The pose of the day, lean to the right with the folded arms. It was a bit rainy...

 Bats! Don't believe me? 
 Boo! 
 The art museum...time to become a little more cultured 
St. Mary's Catholic Church 

No comments:

Post a Comment