Sunday, April 10, 2011

Pelorus Bridge to Nelson

37 Miles (838 miles total)

I woke today to the kiwi bird exploring my tent! At least I believe he is a kiwi bird, my host today said he may be another bird that is mistaken for a kiwi bird. Either way, I took a ton of pictures and had some fun hanging out with it while I prepared to go.

I had a great day of riding today, just 55 km, but very fun. I met up with a french couple along the way who have been traveling for one year, spending most of their time in South America. They plan to cycle for two more years around the world! I am pretty jealous and am already on a trip! It was great talking to them about their travels and where they plan to go. Since they are more flexible with their time, they are spending twelve days just woofing on the north coast of the South Island.

I stayed the night with my warm showers host Ryan in Nelson. A great guy, he cycled for 8 months from France to Kyrgyzstan, flew back to Istanbul and cycled back to Spain. Amazing! It is always great to compare notes, especially with someone so well traveled. After meeting with so many touring cyclists...I am very motivated to move on and complete my journey on the South Island. I plan to cycle about 700 km in the next 7 days so I can make it to Queensland with time to spare. It will be difficult, especially since it will rain, but I have prepared and rested. The west coast of the south island is the most isolated place in New Zealand. If you look at a population density map, it is as dense as South Dakota. Thanks for reading my blog! Cheers mates!

 Thought it was a kiwi...actually known as a weka!

 Home for the night...DOC site
 Little exploring by the bicycle 



2 comments: