Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Lake Paringa to Lake Hawae

4/18
0 MILES! (BY BIKE)


From Lake Paringa, I traveled with the Coop family off to the South. We stopped for a few scenic views of the ocean and did a short walk through the forest. My first time traveling on the road by car in NZ, it really is a different way to see the world. Instead of travelling for two days to Haast, it took up just 1 hour! I watched from the rear as we passed snow capped mountans, and climbed numerous hills. I certainly, do not regret missing out on climbing a pass. 38 km north of Wanaka, we stopped at Lake Hawae.

After spending the morning playing car games, like the animal game - in which you guess what animal you are in a 20 questions format, we worked on setting up camp.

Alexander and Sven took a short hike to the top of the nearby mountain side. Denis cleared up a bit in the campervan and Phillip helped me change a gear cable. I let him make a spear with my swiss army knife as well. After setting up my camp, we played scrabble, and ate a delicous thai dish! I quickly ate mine and even had my share of seconds. The family is especially keen on thai food as they lived in Thailand for 2.5 years.

It was a very relaxing evening, but it soon proved to be a cold one. It was no more than 40 degrees f, my coldest night of camping! I anticipate that this will be the coldest of the trip...hopefully!


View Untitled in a larger map



 Rest stop along the beach

 Drying out the tent and fixing the bike with phillip 
 Afternoon view of lake hawae 

Quite a nice spot, eh? 

No comments:

Post a Comment