Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Strasbourg to Canal des Houilleres de la Sarre

6.22
74 miles (3567 miles total)

Summertime! The music festival was a great way to kick off the summer. After seeing all of the sites in the city, I headed to Gaspards place. My cs host was not home at the time, so his roommate kindly let me in. Soon a number of her friends came over in addition to Gaspard.  While speaking to the French in English, I felt a little ashamed that I do not know their own language, while they know mine. Eitherway, we had a fun time spending time together. We drank Leffe beer, French wine, and other snacks. I had many interesting conversations about my trip and I learned about the French way of life, and their efforts to preserve their culture. For example, only 30 percent of their music on the radio is permitted to be in English. I also found that the fewer the people that speak English, the more likely the French language and culture will be preserved.

I remember in New Zealand asking one of my ws hosts about their impressions of French and German towns. Now, I have experienced it for myself. The German towns are much more organized, the cycle ways are immaculate and the signage is consistent and ubiquitious with the roads. In France, it exists, but the paths are more rare. Strasbourg, for example, only had lages along the city canals. Nevertheless, the drivers were respectful of the bikes.

The rest of the night I walked around the city to hear a number of performances. In France, every city allows their citizens to play music on the streets. People were walking up and down the streets like a marching band. One woman had a megaphone and a marching drum. She played and sang simulataneously. Bars played music outdoors, while the city center hosted a professional concert. Hundreds of thousands of people roamed the street. My cs host held up a sign that said "free hugs" and hugs were given. Later on that night I lost my host and walked around with two of his friends. Unfortunately, I am not great remembering names, especially when they are in another language. Well, this guy knows 5 languages..French, German, Spanish, English, and Portuguese. I also learned tonight that cotton candy in french is called fabapa...or grandfathers beared in French.

The bike riding today was excellent. I rode up the Canal de Marne au Rhine. I first biked to the city of Saverne, then to Sarrebourg. I did not pass through any towns along the canal, but I did see how the locks work in action. I saw many boats successfully move up and down the canal. Towards Sarrenbourg, I passed through the French countryside with its many rolling hills. Tomorrow I will continue going North, staying in Luxembourg with a fellow triathlete!

 Window view from bedroom
 Bedroom in Strassborg
 My ride for the morning


Posing in Saverne
 
 Saverne city center
 Sun came out this afternoon!
Sarrenbourg road view

No comments:

Post a Comment