Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Breisach to Strasbourg

6.21 55 miles (3493 miles total)

Change of plans. I decided on a new route to the Atlantic Ocean. This exciting and interesting route is a great way to end the trip. I am presently in Strasbourg, France. Originally I planned to cycle up the Rhine in Prague, but today I had a change of heart. In the city, a Dutch man ran into me with his bike and we chatted. He is also attempting his first long cycle tour, traveling to Istanbul from Holland. Well, after completing the first segment of his trip, he offered me his first set of cycling maps. They are excellent maps of a route that follows rivers through France, Luxembourg, Belgium, and Holland. This was exactly what I wanted to do! The Rhein route would have been fun, but I have spent a large amount of time in Germany with numerous CSers. I think it would be more engaging to cycle through some other countries staying with the people. That is what I plan to do.

Today, I rose early at 6 AM and said goodbye to Marcus. I felt incredible this morning, reaching Strasbourg by noon. I am siteseeing now and plan to meet my host in the city later tonight. I hope to hear some French music performed for the summer solistace.

 View from my couch surfers home

 Marcus and I 
 Over the Rhine to France


 On the canal to Strasbourg 
 Strasbourg train station 
 Strasbourg cathedral 




 Summertime!

 Off we go...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Pete,

    Last week I wanted to show some maps and routes to friends from France, when I remembered that I gave away my cycling route book (Maastricht - Rome, part 1).

    I was a bit sad that I could not show this guide that lead me trough my first important weeks of my journey.

    Sitting in front my computer now, already more then 2 months at home, still smacked down to earth, trying to pick up a 'normal' life I thought off looking at your website...

    It's really great that to see what an amazing journey you had! Nice lists of things also you missed along the trip and how your trip was in numbers!
    I completely agree with you that cycling is a great way to travel, meeting people, feeling the freedom and joy of adventure and life itself!

    Pretty funny to read about our short encouter in Strasbourg. I really remember your beard and how wild it looked...
    I then felt a bit unexperienced. But letting go of the route and following my own, really transformed me. Now I can say I know what it is, being on my own, travelling trough countries and dealing with daily life as it came up to me.

    When I arrived in Istanbul, I had a bit of a similar beard. Thanks to a great barber overthere I was reborn, looking too smooth when I left the barbershop. But a nice experience it was...
    A cycling journey I only could have dreamed of but which really happened.

    I am thankful that we met,
    greetings from Utrecht, Holland

    Huub (www.vanamersfoortnaaristanbul.nl ;)

    ReplyDelete