Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Sigmaringen to Donaueschingen

6.17
62 miles (3283 miles total)

I left Sigmaringen bright and early to finish off the Donau. This last 100 km was probably the most hilly segment of the German Danube. It was not too bad, but a little surprising. The day was also full of unpaved riding in the countryside.  I found the ambiance of the ride very different. It felt much more pristine, with views of rockside mountain faces, caves, conifer forests and many more views of the Danube.  Today, I focused on the Danube River.  I feel a little sad. After spending so much time, often alone, I have grown accustomed to being alongside the river. It has been the most consistent part of my trip so far.

Todays religious site was the Archabbey Beuron. I watched part of a service. Although in German, it was interesting to see and experience. The other worthwhile site was the Immanuel Lutheran Church in Tuttlingen. Completely distinct from the Catholic Churches of Germany, it has a very unique style.

After Tuttlingen, I watched the Danube River shrink in size. A few km after the Danube starts, it disappears into a sink and the riverbed dries up completely. Amazingly, the Danube waters wind through underground caves and channels for 12 km. It reemerges as Germany's largests spring, where 10,000 litres bubble up a miunte.

Arriving early, I arrive in Donaueschingen to meet my CS host Ahmad.  A Pakistani German, we soon became good friends.  Paul from Poland, another cyclist also stayed with us tonight.  I had a truly fantastic time in Donaueschingen. I learned about Ahmad and Paul.  Paul taught me how to play the game Quarto, which I hope to continue to play back home. We all ate a delicious dinner of rice, eggplant, and potatoes. Ahmad is a superb cook. We talked and talked well into the night. I showed the two guys pictures of New Zealand.  It is indescribable how far removed I feel from NZ and Australia.  I cannot believe I am already looking back on it...

After planning how to get to Basel, Paul and I decided to ride tomorrow together. He is from Germany and familiar with the Black Forest. We soon fell asleep, apparently I was talking last night while asleep!

 Camp site in Sigmaringen 
 Last day along the danube



 Yum, apple strudel 





 Danube swell...where did the river go? 

No comments:

Post a Comment