Sunday, June 19, 2011

Ingolstadt to Dillingen

6.19
62 miles (3110 miles total)

Ahh I lost my cycling computer today. So I will reflect upon how great it was. I recommend everyone to keep track of your distances. It is great to listen to your body...and is in fact the priority. But it is important to know your mileage. Although the Garmin Edge 605 does record your mileage, it has an exceedingly small battery capacity of 12 hours. It is great for training, but terrible for touring. I constantly was searching for an electrical outlet to recharge the unit. Since I am in Western Europe now, it is not a very big deal cycling without one.  And it could be worse...I could lose my passport.

Today was enjoyable besides that mishap. I spent the morning exploring Ingolstadt. The setting for Mary Shelleys "Frankenstein" has a very medieval feel. Over 1100 years old, I walked along Theresienstrabe, explored the Liefrauenmunster cathedral, and visited a museum in Neus Schloss about medieval military history.

The artifacts were well worth the visit. I continued on to Neuborg where I explored the palace. Rich in history, I walked the courtyard and exterior of the palace to enjoy the impressive design and accompanying paintings.

Continuing on, I popped my rear tire for the third time while travelling on an unsealed road. I stopped in the larger city of Donauworth for 20 minutes or so, but decided to pass on seeing any more churches for the day. The rest of the day was countryside and countless small villages. There were scattered showers throughout the day, so I was able to enjoy riding under some impressive cloud formations. Coming to a camp ground at sunset, I was very ready for a past dinner.


 Downtown Ingolstadt 

 Neus Strass Military Museum 



 Summer palace from back in the day 
 Neuborg
 Neuborg Palace 





No comments:

Post a Comment