Sunday, June 19, 2011

Regensburg to Ingolstadt

6.13
62 miles (3048 miles)

Felt very at home along the Danube today. Going to Prague was certainly a good time, but I feel focused again on my goal to reach Holland. Last night was one of my more enjoyable evenings in Europe. I met up with Nulle once again and spent a little time with one of his classmates. I learned a little more about the German political system, German history, education system, medical schools, and life as a medical school student in Germany. We grabbed a beer and hung out in the city center. I really felt like I got a great idea of life in Regensburg, especially since I spent more time with people my age. I think this night will be one of the most memorable because of my familiarity with the lives of my host and his friend. Today I switched back and forth between the South and North bank. I rode on a mixture of gravel and paved cycling paths, and open road. The towns have many similarities to the previous ones the past few days, but I can certainly see the differences in the archetecture and city planning. I can also feel the difference in the ambiance of the cities. One of the mroe interesting cities was Kelheim, where the Hall of Liberation resides. Built by Ludwig I, it resembles an ancient burial temple and the Pantheon in Rome. Here I also ate lunch from a local inn and tried a traditional turkey leg and what appeared as couscous.

After Kelheim I stopped in Weltenburg, where the Weltenburg Abbey is located. The oldest monastery in Bavaria, it was built in 610 AD by Columban monks. The frescoes in the abbey church were well worth the side trip. The rest of the ride had scenic views of the danube and countryside. I found a nice camp site in the larger town of Ingolstadt, which I hope to explore more tomorrow.

 What 3000 miles does to your armadillo bike tire 
 Whoaaa
 Back on the road...with a companion or two 


 Kelheim,  Hall of Liberation 
 First course 
 Second course
 Weltenburg Abbey...built in 610 AD

 Some Roman ruins 
 My treat after a days work 
See you tomorrow world 

No comments:

Post a Comment