Thursday, June 2, 2011

Osijek to Backa Palanka

5/29
59 miles (2166 miles total)

After a sound night of sleep and a quick breakfast of nutella, bread, and hungarian oranges, Christopher and I left the hotel.

Taking a few photos of the city square, I ran into my old German cycling friend from two days ago (another one). He has a very German name, which as escaped my memory. Well, we took a few phtos and I led the two out of the city with my GPS. I feel much more energetic cycling with others, I covered the most distance in the hour we cycled together. We passed through many villages, including Sarvas, Bijelo Brdo, Dalj, and Vukovar. Vukovar has visiable marks of the civil war in Yugoslavia. The city buildings have bullet holes, the water town being the clearest example of the war, which I believe is a memorial now. From Vukovar, we cycled to the Serbian border. We faced a few hills, which the cycling book warned against, but the were nothing compared to Oceania. I had a cup of coffee with Crhis and the German man in Vukovar as well. We had a great conversation about our travels, our nations, our respective lives. We talked about the countries we were in and the scars of the war on the buildings.

Chris and I headed off, taking a break in Moharo where we met a local man who gave us water and shared his hard rock collection. In his 70s, it was quite a sight watching this old croatian man blast his jimmy hendrix. His room was also covered with Australian flags and kangaroos so we talked about our travels as well.

Chris and I are in Serbia now, in Backa Palanka, We hope to get some good Serbian food!


First sip of croatian beer 
Sorry, forgot to adjust photo..me, christoper, and an older german cyclist 

View of damaged water tower 

Heading into Serbia 

Isnt she gorgeous? 

No comments:

Post a Comment