Thursday, June 2, 2011

Verona to Budapest

Today I had a few interesting twists and turns. I traveled through 3 countries, Italy, Austria, and Hungary by train. Switching 3 trains over 17 hours was exhausting. The worst part of traveling on the train was I caught a stomach bug, but I think I now have recovered. In Innsbruck, I waited for 3 hours for the train at 2 in the morning. This is especially tough for me because I have been going to sleep at 9. I experienced quite a scare when the loud speaker said the train was cancelled. Thankfully, it was not. I had a cabin (6 seats) to myself so I laid out and fell asleep. Unfortuntely, I had to wake up at 5 AM to move my bike to the bike carriage and at 840 I had to move it to a completely seperate carriage heading to budapest.

In Budapest, I felt like I was in another world. Similar to landing in Auckland, I felt very lonely and uncertain of my traveling. To top it off, I learned it was nearly impossible to bring a bike on a train to or from Bucharest or Belgrade.

The only train takes about 16 hours and Romanian trains do not have a great reputation from what I have learned and read. I was originally going to cycle with Heather to Belgrade to Bucharest, but now we are changing our plans. Hopefully, we will will meet later in the trip. Tomororw, I will cycle out of Budapest along the Danube. I will cycle first East to Belgrade then I will either take a train out or cycle back. It is about 4öö miles, mostly flat. I may even cross into Romania for the sake of it.

I stayed in a 2 room flat by myself tonight. For just 18 euro I received my own kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom.  My neighbor is also a dentist so I got to learn about Hungarian dentistry. Apparently, people come from all of the world for the high quality, but extremelly affordable work.









No comments:

Post a Comment