Sunday, June 12, 2011

Passau to Regensburg

6.9
110 miles (2946 miles total)

Managed another century today, but do not think I will be cycling this far for another week or so. I passed through a number of small towns, but felt too rushed to really enjoy them. I began outside of Passau in a small village next to the Danube. After sleeping in a little, I went to Passau and cycled around the city center to see the town hall, monastery and cathedral.

After a few minutes, I started once more to Regensburg. I spent about an hour on a detour, cycling up and down numerous hills. This exploration of the countryside has allowed me to appreciate the flatness of the danube. This is the very reason I have cycled more distance in two weeks than I cycled in one month in NZ. After reaching the small town of Sandbach, I realized I certainly was in Germany. Passsau is actually the first city I passed through, but there is no border crossing so I was not certain of this.

I crossed the river to the North bank in Vilshofen. I continued on gorgeous cycling routes along the bank. I passed through small villages like Hofkirchen, Mittendorf and Loh.

The ages of the towns, churches, abbeys, and ruins are outstanding. For example, Niederalteich Benedictine abbey was established in 731 AD. There is a wall from the Roman legion army in Regensburg from 147 AD. The history is mind numbingly long.

I took a bit of a break in Deggendorf, a larger town with a number of historic buildings, all which are famous to Bavaria, the region of Germany I am in.

I moved along the river passing through Bogen, Worth, and Danaustaf. In Danaustaf exists Walhalla, a building modeled after the Partheon, which honors famous Germans as instructed by the Bavarian crown prince Ludwig I. By 9 PM, after 12 hours of traveling I had made it to Regensburg to meet Nulls, my cs host.

A black deer!!!!!! 
Passing through Passau...Nice to meet you Germany! 


Flood levels 

Me and Mathius 

Deggendorf
Castle of Worth
Walhalla

Jousting

Locks of love

No comments:

Post a Comment