Thursday, June 2, 2011

Dunafoldvar to Baja

5/27
63 miles (2034 miles)

Riding was very scenic today. Lots of countryside I am riding through. Also have had a chance to talk to the villagers. Most people do not speak fluent English, but can speak a few sentences. Took a ferry out across the danube. I passed through the major city of Kalocsa, which is well known for their paprika. In fact, the are the Paprika capital of Europe. I ended my day in Baja. Struggling to find the city camp site, I crossed the river hoping to find one there. Believing I found it, I stopped at a home where a number of local people were having a party. A motorcycle club, the people gave me a shot of spiced rum and a hungarian beer and told me to stay for dinner and the night. I could not say no and turn down their hospitality. I had a fantastic time eating the local carp fish soup and eating a breakfast of sausage with mustard and toast soaked in pig fat. 

I set up my tent in the yard of the rented home and ate dinner with the group. A few knew English fluently and I talked extensively with them about their country, the food, the area of Baja, and their motorcycles. I learned of the history of Hungary, its relation with the neighboring countires, and I learned about communist life. After staying up late talking, I was ready for bed.

Camping along the danube


Paprika! 

Resting outside of Baja

Old jewish temple 

No comments:

Post a Comment