Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Donaueschingen to Staufen

6.18
58 miles (3341 miles)

We awoke at 8 AM and enjoyed some German bread, butter, and jam for breakfast. Afterwards, Ahmad took us to the Danube sympolic source, originally installed by the Romans. A very beautiful structure, it has a marble statue of a woman (I think a god) directing the Danube child towards the Black sea. I threw  a number of Serbian coins in, hoping for the best. After purchasing a map of the Rhine, Paul and I prepared to depart.

We had a glorious ride today through the Black Forest, the Schwanringen. We rode through beautiful conifer forests, climbing hundreds of meteres at numerous points. The views of the small villages and surroudning area made the rides well worth it. I still felt very conditioned cycling up the hills. It felt spectacular!

Paul and I simply enjoyed riding today for the sake of riding. We did not focus much on the cities, but passed through the larger city of Freiburg.  Paul has been very fun to ride with and converse with. We stopped often on the ride to look at the scenery. He helped navigate the Black Forest. The German cycleways extend well past the Danube. We rode mostly on the Schweningen cycleway. I am very excited to continue cycling in Germany along the Rhine.  I think this will be more memorable than continuing cycling on the Eurovelo 6, since I will get the opportunity to cycle in Holland.  Furthermore, I will be able to see the Rhine, the third largest river in Europe.

After reaching our destination, Staufen we set up camp.  Paul and I enjoyed a great pasta dinner with cheese, cucumber, avocado, and tomatoes.  Of Polish extraction, Paul grew up in Frankfurt, but his family now lives in Poland.  He hopes to cycle to Southern Spain and work on a farm Woffing. We talked about many topics, finding many similarities such as our support for local farms, politics, athletics, and basic lifestyle choices.  I taught Paul how to play rugby, which is not popular in Germany.

One aspect of myself that I have learned about on this trip is just how outgoing I am. I truly have enjoyed spending time with my hosts and the others that have crossed my path. I am learning how others live, where they live, at this exact point in time. You cannot put a price on these experiences and I will always view these as invaluable.

 Source of the Danube 
 Pawl, Ahmad, and I

 Aphrodite directing the little girl danube to the black sea 
 The black forest 

 Some woolly cows 
 The ride was worth the views
 My first black cherry


No comments:

Post a Comment