Sunday, June 12, 2011

Krems to Linz

6.7

100 miles (2776 miles total)

Yes! I completed my first century today. I cycled along the North shore from Krems,passing many beautiful little towns, each unique in their own way. I passed Durnstein, Weibenkirchen, the larger town of Spitz, eventually crossing into Melk. At the site of the Benedictine abbey, I was tempted to stop and view them. The ceiling frescos considered the most famous in all of Europe. Instead, I decided to take some time in Mauthausen, the former site of one of the most notorious concentration camps. An innumerable number of people were shot, thrown into quarries off cliffs, gased, and cremated here. Witnessing the gas chambers and the site of the cremations was a chilling experience.  It is especially meaningful as there are many people in my life who are Jewish. In such a naturally beautiful place, it is hard to believe such evil existed.

I soon moved to Linz to find my host Juergen. I spent a little time beforehand exploring the city. Formerly the Roman town of Lentia, Linz is developing an international reputation for its culture, strong industry, and lively arts scene. After exploring the city center, I met up with Juergen my cs host. He has had over 150 guests in his home. We talked long into the night about Austria, the EU, the war in Yugoslovia, and Austrian culture.


Ready to complete my first century of the trip 



Abbey of Melk 
Mauthausen Concentration Camp 


Crematory... 
Memorial for those lost 



Heading into Linz..
My host Juergen!

No comments:

Post a Comment