Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Ehingen to Sigmaringen

6.16
50 miles (3221 miles total)

One more day until I reach the source of the Danube River. Alraure, Chris, their baby and I started our day with an enjoyable breakfast. They made a suggestion of a place to purchase some bread which I visited after bidding our farewells. I had a fantastic time with the couple and really enjoyed spending time with their baby: It was a different cs experience, which I will not soon forget.

Today was another day of exceptional riding paths: I passed Hohwarts castle, not to get confused with hogwarts. It was not as impressive as Hogwarts nevertheless. The highlight of the day was Riedlingen. A remarkably beautiful town: The half timbered houses, town hall, city centre were all extremely unique as compared with other towns.

I also stopped to see a Roman museum in Mengen. Although it was mostly in German, it was interesting to see the artifacts from the period. I am going to try and see at least one museum a day.

Towards the end of the day the heavens opened and the rain came. It fell for no longer than 30 minutes, but it was a quick reminder of how lucky I have been so far on this trip.

I am camping in Sigmaringen now. The city has a brilliant castle and church. The rain is coming sporadically so it might be a wet night. I am camping with a number of touring cyclists, which is a little more fun than camping alone! It reminds me of why I like camping again. I chatted with a British couple who cycled for 8 months in Australia and Europe. There is also a young German family with 3 little boys who are cycling for 4 days along the Danube. The boys do not understand English, but they seem to be in awe of my large beard and MSR stove. Tomorrow, I will arrive at the source of the Danube!

 Alraure, Chris, and their baby

 The locals like roller blading too 
 But they are obsessed with cycling 
 The town of Riedlingen

 My museum stop for the day 



 Rain ahead? 
Sigmaringen palace 

No comments:

Post a Comment