Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Basel to Bressach


6.20
57 miles (3438 miles total)

Paul and I bid our goodbyes to Simon and Desiree after breakfasting on some Swiss hot chocolate and bread. We rode around the city once more viewing sites we missed. We walked through the botantical gardens in the city, which was enjoyable. We wiffed 0 for 3 for museums. We attempted to see the sports, Jewish heritage, and Basel museums, but they were closed. We then went our separate ways...Paul went South, while I cycled North. It was a real pleasure cycling with Paul.  I learned much from him about the Germarn perspective, Polish life, German language, and simply about living a fulfilling life.

On this trip time has certainly warped itself. I feel as if I spent several weeks with Paul. I feel I know him well. This trip seems to have taken years, not months. This is the best way to travel.  I am truly living my life to the fullest, seeing lands and interacting with people, who are truly a world apart from Philadephia.

The remainder of the day I cycled up the French side of the Rhine. That is right, I am in France! I passed through numerous small towns...Kembs, Weil de Rhein, taking a lunch break in the town of Chalampe.

I stopped in Neuf-Brisach, not realizing that the town is a fortress. Completely symmetrical, the town is surrounded by a series of moats, hedges, and other fortifications. I wandered the city and enjoyed visiting the museum. One interesting fact;  the town has changed nationalities 5 times throughout its history.

Moving on, I saw Bresach and toured the Cathedral, site of a Jewish synagogue, and other historic buidlings. The views from the cathedral were astounding.
Tonight, I stayed with Markus from cs. We had a great time, enjoying German BBQ.  Markus showed me how it is done. We drank some German lagers and spoke about our lives, travelling, and our futures. Marcus travelled across the US, from NY to Texas, which I thought was very cool. He also told me all about Sweden, as it is his favorite place to travel. I truly hope to travel there!

Marcus' landlord presented us with a bottle of wine from his vinyard. Since he cycled for four months in NZ,  we had much to discuss. We conversed about the German way of life and the differences in the US. After showing me some pictures of his family and Sweden, we headed to bed.

 Pawl and I taking one last shot together 
 On the road in basel 
 City hall 

 Along the rhine river
 River barge 
 French rugby field?
 Nieu- Briesach
 Aerial view of the fortress city, Nieu-Briesach 

Top of German Bressach

No comments:

Post a Comment