Thursday, June 2, 2011

Belgrade to Romania

5/31
69 miles (2315 miles total)

Spent the morning with my host Rade. We drank coffee and talked for a few hours. Since I was not spending more than one day in his home it was my priority to get a late start.

I learned much about Eastern Europe, specifically, former Yugoslavia. Rade enlightened me by giving me a brief history of all 6 nations and their reasons for seperating. While I was aware of the conflict, I was so far removed and so young, I had a very small understanding before arriving. Rade helped me comprehend his perspective. He told me about the different type of people, ethnicities, religions, and geographic regions. I also learned about Gypsies, their problems, and way of life. Rades neighbors are Gypsies in fact. I have spoken to two different Serbs and they have had the same opinion about the group. Like Maori and aboroginals, they are uneducated and disadvantaged. They are known for using the welfare system, and at times abusing the system.

After our chat, I said farewell to Rade and was off to Romania. I stopped by a local BBQ shack and devoured two huge hamburgers. Rade directed me to the highway, which leads to a less congested entrance to Romania. The ride began interestingly enough. I noticed a huge back up, but before finding out the problem, I was greated by a german rider. Travelling form Istanbul to Germany, he has completed many amazing tours. He has cycled route 66, along the west coast of north america, 3 months in New Zealand. I hope I am as active as he is in my old age!

As I continued my ride, I noticed a longer and longer line of caravans. I soon learned that the farmers were striking, actually bloking the road! Besides motorcycles, I was the only one to get through. The ride was pretty flat with a few hills once in awhile. I rode through two large towns, Pancevo and Vrsac, the basketball capital of Serbia. I powered my way with Serbian Ice cream, yogurt and cake. I arrived at the Romanian border right before sunset. Under a clear sky, I set up my tent in a field and fell asleep.

Some day, I hope to come back to this part of the world and finish what I have started...I hope to cycle the entire length of the danube.








Goodnight Romania 
Good morning! 

No comments:

Post a Comment