Sunday, June 19, 2011

Dillingen to Ehingen

6.15
61 miles (3171 miles total)

Tonight, I am staying with a CS family in Ehingen. But first I will recount my day. I cycled past many scenic cities with a number of churches, cathedrals, castles. The towns appear similar, but they are oh so very different. It is hard to describe how. It is much like describing how a person or even how an individual family is different. You may not know how they are different exactly, but you know they are unique in some ways. By cycling through I get a glimpse and maybe a little knowledge about these differences.

Of the cities I passed through today, Dillingen was one of my favorite places. I visited the beautiful Kupyiner Kirche cathedral. Both Gunburg and Frauenkirch have aesthetically beautiful town centers.  However, the highlight of today was the Gothic Cathedral in Ulm; the tallest cathedral in the world. I climbed the 768 steps to the top of the spiral to see the Alps to the South and Germany's first nuclear power plant to the East. One interesting fact, Albert Einstein was born here.

From Ulm, I cycled the 33 km through Erbach, Ersingen to Ehingen where I met my CS family. Alraure and Chris have a cute little 10 month old baby boy. We talked and played. I helped Alraure and Chris practice their English as well! I am very surprised and pleased with everyones ability to speak English! We talked and played well into the evening. The baby boy has yet to speak, but I am sure he knows more words of German than me. I have not learned much of the German language, since most of the people speak English and are so willing to speak to me in English. We enjoyed a fantastic pasta dinner prepared by Alraure. Chris and I enjoyed a beer afterwards and talked about traveling, politics, German life, communism, among various other topics in the backyard.

Hard to believe, but I have just two more days along the Danube!

Germanys first nuclear power plant 


 Frauenkirch 





 Top of the worlds tallest cathedral! 
 Ulm Cathedral 

Hydrating with some Krumbach water

1 comment: