Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Budapest to Esztergom

6\2
52 miles (2437 miles total)

I made it through to Budapest in one piece. Getting in at 5:20 AM, I began my day touring Buda and Pest. I visited the Great Jewish Synagogue, old subway line, National Theater in Buda. I crossed one of the 8 bridges going over to Danube that correct the two sides. The bridges are beautiful. Cycling around, I met a local man named George. Well, he was the greatest help taking me to Fishermans Bastion and the Castle district. Fishermans Bastian is a neo-Gothic, neo-Romanesque styled structure. It was built to provide a panomaric view of the city and surroundings.

The castle district is also something not to be missed in Budapest. The riding was perfect. After some WS and couchsurfing emails and Hungarian lunch, I was on my way. There is a magnificent river park running along the Danube. I followed this park for about 20 miles, I stopped for ice cream in Szentendre. Szentendre is an interesting town for it is a local hub for artists and art collectors. Due to construction I did not stay long. When it began to rain I left. I passed by a few couples who were biking along, one couple had a recommbiant. I expect more to come. One of the most beautiful parks of the Danube is the 'knee' . Over 20 km, the river is side by side with steep mountains, providing a breathtaking scenory. I ended my trip today in Esytergom, the Roman Catholic church capital in Hungary. One of the oldest cities in Hungary, it was mentioned in a 10th century poem. The most prominent feature of the town is the Basillica. Constructed in 1822 to 1869, it has Tuscan Renaissance architecture. It originally stood in Suttom, but was taken apart in 1600 pieces and rebuilt here.


The Great Jewish Synagogue 




Distant view of Hungarian Parliament 

Me and George at the Fishermans Bastion
In the Castle District 

Off to Western Hungary 

Big difference between NE U.S. and Europe...the Storks! 

Something I get used to seeing everyday...a daily view of a castle 


Miles from nowhere 

No comments:

Post a Comment