Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Brisbane to Sydney

5/5
4 miles bike (1461 miles total)
500 miles train

The train ride today was exhausting. I got up early with Rose, Ian and Rick and we said our goodbyes. I spent the day listening to Blake Evans Flyboys. which was about the war in the Pacific during WWII. Specifically, the book look at the events leading up to and after the cannabilism of Japanese soldiers on the Japanese island of Iwo Jima. It also had an in depth focus on the incineration of Tokyo and other cities by U.S. B- 29 bombers.

After arriving in Sydney I put my bike together while talking to a wheel chair bound man. I did not catch his name, but I enjoyed our conversations. It certainly appears there is discrimination of the handicap. I wonder if the disabled have more or less legal protection than the U.S.

The hero of the day was Ollie. A law student at Sydney Univesrity and a warm showers host, I arrived uber late at his factory converted home. Arriving at 10:30, I had a quick pasta dinner and met his flat mates. A few of his flat mates are Americans from upstate New York. As always, it was great trading touring stories. Ollie has also completed the train-siberian railroad, which is an awesome feat. I took up ollie and his flatmates advice and decided to cycle South of Sydney. After checking th weather in the Blue Mountains, I was interested in camping in the 30s and 40s. Additionally, I won't enjoy much riding along the coast in Europe!



View Brisbane to Sydney in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment