Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Shellharbour to Helensbourgh

5/8
44 miles (1580 miles total)

I headed off yesterday after a nice breakfast with Gary and Annette. I did a little work on the bike while my two freinds went for a run in the morning.

Gary has been a great help directing me towards appropriate cycling routes along the coast. I cycled from shellharbour through the coast to Wollongong up to Helensburg. Gary and Annette have done some impressive trips in addition to their trip through the middle east. They have also cycled around the Baltic Sea, hiked Patagonia, and spent 6 months skiing in the U.S. I am most interested in the kayaking and skiing trips and hope to pick these up in the coming years.

The ride was beautiful riding along the coast. There were constant views of the Pacific Ocean. It was a bit hilly and certainly reminded me of cycling the East Cape off of New Zealand. While there was more traffic, the cycling routes eliminated most traffic.

I met Gary and Annette's daughter and son in law tonight as well. They have been generous enough to let me sleep in their home. Although they were busy putting wood flooring into their new house, we had time to talk about our own lives. We enjoyed a delicious past dinner with an apple turnover for desert. Thank you Nelson family for your help!











No comments:

Post a Comment