Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Last day in Brisbane!

5/4
13 miles (1457 miles total)

Today I had a very productive day getting my things together for the rest of my journey. I got a chance to speak to my amazing girlfriend Holly about our plans together with my friend Laura in Greece and Italy! I also spoke with my incredible friend Heather who will be traveling me across Romania and Bulgaria into Serbia at the end of this month! It is pretty crazy to think that in just this month alone I will have traveled around Australia, Greece, Italy and Romania...I wish I could do this every year.

Anyway, I spent the morning talking to Rose, her daughters, and her granddaughters. Rose, who is a trained massage therapist, also helped work out the tension and knots in my quad. She was even kind enough to place a phone call with one of her peers! Afterwards, I rode around the city a little more today to just get a feel for the urban life again. The day was clear, sunny, and warm. I rode along the riverside, the botanical gardens, and through the city centre. In the evening, I unwound after my busy day with Ian, Rick, and Rose. I really enjoy talking with my older friends about everything from the geology of New Zealand, to George Bush, to how the U.S. Navy is not allowed entry into New Zealand. Tonight I even tried Kangaroo! Wild kangaroo, since there are no kangaroo farms. It was in fact very tasty...and I cannot say I expected to get a bite of kangaroo steak when I arrived two weeks ago.

After dinner, Ian showed me his collection of radios and I learned about the advantages of morse code in long distance travel. I also learned about the number of amateur radios in the world. There are about 600,00 in the US alone! Very incredible!

Tomorrow I am off to Sydney...where I will fly to Athens in just one week! Thanks for reading everyone, hope all is well back home.







No comments:

Post a Comment