Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Katoomba to Mount Victoria

5/10
35 miles (1660 miles total)

Heading back to Sydney now. The blue mountains were well worth the trip. I fit a few hours of riding from Katoomba to Mount Victoria, venturing off to a dirt road to a fantastic look out point of one of the scenic canyons of the Blue Mountain National Park. Much colder tahn the coast (about 1000 m higher) I had to put my cold weather gear on. The ride was much different than the past few days. Experiencing the autumn leaves one last time was fascinating, considering I am usually preparing for summer at this point in my life. I really wish I could have spent more time exploring the canyons and hiking trails, I would love to come back here some day.

After arriving in Sydney, I rode through the downtown to North Sydney, where my next host lives. Sue, who is not part of warmshowers or couchsurfing, is an alumni from the University of Pennsylvania. After contacting hundreds of people in Australia and New Zealand, it was Sue I ended up staying with! She has been extremelly generous and open hearted to let me stay with her for these two nights as I prepare to fly across the world to Europe. We went out for some pizza last night, which was very enjoyable. Since she has lived here for four years, I had a brand new perspective on the country.









No comments:

Post a Comment