Sunday, May 22, 2011

Delphi to Galaxidi

5/17

25 miles (1736 miles total)

We started the day off with a big breakfast, a bit more than the toast and coffee from the past few nights. I stocked up on plenty of crouissants, coffee, juice, kiwis, apples, oranges, and other snacks. Holly, Laura and I spent the morning walking through the archaelogical ruins of Delphi. While not as intact as the Acropolis, the theater and Olympic stadium were very impressive. We also spent some time in the museum, where the findings of recent archeological digs were displayed. It is incredible how the archaeologists and other scientists have successfully recreated teh ancient buildings using ancient texts.

Since Galaxidi was our next stop and visible from Delphi, I decided to cycle there. Ony 32 km, I rode from delphi while Laura and Holly took the bus. The ride was one of my best coastal rides yet. Since Delphi is situated in the moutnains, I rode pretty much downhill the first 14 km. I rode through Crissos, a nice little scenic town. I ran into a few guys on a smoke break and they directed me to Galaxidi.

I rode on through idia, while watching the scenic snow capped mountains and the glistening Meditterean sea. By the end of the ride, I was certainly ready for more but excited to explore the town with the girls. Fortuntely, Holly and Laura got off the bus just as I arrived in the town!

We spent the afternoon at the beach, even jumped into the ocean with my cycling clothes. We spent the rest of the day relaxing at the hotel and eating dinner. I went for a walk with Laura, which was especially enjoyable.



No comments:

Post a Comment