Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Helensburg to Katoomba

5/9
45 miles (1625 miles total)

Getting an early start with Gary and Annette, I was soon off. Gary anad Annette are spending a few days hiking the Royal National Park, debateably the first national park in the world. I enjoyed an isolated ride through the area, enjoying the calls of the exotic birds and seeing the meandering streams and views of the ocean in the distance. I made my way into Bundeana, riding the first ferry service in Australia and crossed into Sydney. I was pleasantly surprised to find Gary and Annette who saw me off one final time! Slowly, but surely I made my way into the city. After crossing the Georges River, I quickly found a cycling path that borders the bay. Seeing the skyline and much of the city from the top of the bridge was very breathtaking. The cycling path soon ended and I was on the highway temporarily. The semis and cars zoomed by and I was quickly reminded that I am in a city. I didn't have any problems with the drivers, but certainly was wary.

After venturing to the train station, I jumped on the next train to Katoombain in the blue mountains. Luckily, the next  train was in 5 minutes! In Katoomba, which is a couple of hundred km west of sydney, I found a hostel to pitch my tent. For $19 they offered internet, a camp site and breakfast! More importantly, I met several other travel;ors. Only my second night in a hostel on this trip, I had a blast spending time with the other travlleors. There were people from the U.S., Holland, France, England, and Demark! I spent my evening cooking dinner, playing cards, drinking ginger wine, and checking out a local bar. Overall, a great choice and a great night!







No comments:

Post a Comment