Sunday, May 15, 2011

So long Australia...

Cycling sydney

5/11
21 miles (1681 miles total)

I was wrong about yesterday, today was my last day cycling in Australia. I began my morning preparing for Europe by hunting down a bike box, getting a phrase book of all of Eastern Europe languages, contacting hosts in the major cities of Europe. By noon I managed to take care of everything. I also decided to purchase a cycling computer for my trip in Europe. The German Edge 605 has been terrific. I rely on it certainly to get around cities, find groceries, etc. The only downside is it must continually be charged. So to keep track my mileage per day so as not toburn myself out, I bought a cycling computer. Just $50, it is conviently wireless and calculates distance, speend, among other things. The brand is a RAVX, TACTIX 2. I spent my afternoon cycling Northern Sydney and Manly. The city is unique in the number of coves and bays it has. I know I mentioned it before, but I actually got a chance to see it today. There couldn't have been a better way to end the trip in this part of the world.

I want to spend this last part of the entry thanking all of my hosts and all of the people who helped along the way. I began this trip in Australia with a strained quad, slighly apprehensive about my condition and the rest of the trip. By the end I feel stronger than ever and cannot wait to see the European culture, the way of life, the landscape, the arts, and most importantly the cycling. I may even get to see the Tour De France in the very end!

Australia, you have treated me well. I wish I could spend another 6 months cycling here, but I have a feeling I will be back again some day.


















15 miles 

Hello everyone,

I'm an hour away from my departure to Greece. I'm using Ethiad Airways through Olympic Airline. Ethiad surprised me by charging nothing for the bike! This will be a trip to rival all of my past trips...14 hour flight to Abu Dahbi, 5 hour lay over, 4 hour flight to Athens! I hope they give us a meal....if not, its bread, an apple and chocolate for the next day! Since I broke my netbook in New Zealand, I am not sure when I will make my next entry.

In the Sydney airport now surrounded by many UAE residents. I already feel like I am in an other part of the world and in the next phase of my trip. I am very excited for this, have no real expecatations, but know it will be a completely new adventure. I could not be happier! 

 Australia shows the Phillies!

 Monorail

Two Penn alumni, Sue and I at the airport!

Dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment