Thursday, March 24, 2011

On the road....


View Mellons Bay to Orere Point in a larger map


Mileage: 41 miles


As you can see I traveled from Auckland to Orere Point today. I was originally going ot go to Miranda, but got a late start today. I woke up around 8 and spent about an hour getting my things together. I completed loading up my bike, adding my handlebar bag and making some last minute adjustments to my fenders. I also spent some time today, contacting some people on the South Island about staying with them. Since I stayed longer than expected, Maria and George took me out to lunch to another delicious chinese restaurant. They certainly fueled my ride today! 

I also picked up a few more things - food, a tarp for my tent, and wrench for my cassette. I also exchanged my money, so I had something to pay for camping. The ride to Orere Point was incredible. I am pretty much on top of the world :) The only way I can describe this place is by comparing it to the carribean, specifically to St. Johns Virgins Islands. The ride today was if I rode through the virgin islands, only if the virgin islands was three times as long and speckled with sheep and cows. I passed the gorgeous Kawakwa Bay and took my time taking in the scenory (I also took a few photos). After I arrived to the camp ground, I headed to beach..eating a few peanut butter sandwiches (yum!) and meeting up with a new friend rufus (see photos below). 

Tonight is the first night that I am staying in a tent. It was pretty comfortable and I was very happy to have room for my bike and bags. Tomm I am off to Thames to stay with Mel and Dave! Cheers mates! 

 My friend Rufus that I met on the beach at Orere Point!
 My room at George and Maria's house
 Me, Maria, and George at the backyard!
 Look at those teeth! 
 A polo field!
 Kawakawa Bay
 Treebeard and some friends
 The Shire! Look at all of the little hobbitses
 Good night world
 My pad! 


No comments:

Post a Comment