Wednesday, March 16, 2011

3 Days!

Tonight I packed up my bike and supplies for the trip! It looks like the weather in Northern New Zealand is going to hold up when I arrive. Highs in the mid 70s and lows in the mid 60s. When I arrive I will leave before spring begins in the Northern Hemisphere, March 19th, and will land in the Southern Hemisphere the beginning of fall!

So you may have some questions about my trip.

Why?


In addition to raising funds and awareness for neighborhood bike works, I have additional motives for completing this cycling trip. I can sum up how I first got interested in the trip in one sentence - bejing to paris. In the summer of 2007 a group of a dozen people accepts the challenge to cycle from Bejing, China to Paris, France. A friend of mine told me about this feat and I was immediately hooked. Quite frankly, I didn't know it was humanly possible. But it is - www.beijingtoparis.com.

For one, cycling touring is one of the one of the best tests of endurance. Although I will not be in a race per se, I will be facing some of the most challenging rides of my life. Almost everyday for 106 days, I hope to cycle an average of 40 miles.

Cycling is the perfect mode of transportation when it comes to exploring a country. In must of my excursions I have either visited a few large cities or stayed in a single vacation home. In between cities I have either been in the passengers seat or on a train. I can confidently say that I know quite a few highways. Cycling touring allows you to grasp a better understanding of the places in between the large urban sprawl.
When?

Fall in New Zealand in Australia is debatly the best time to travel. The temperatures are outrageously hot in the summer, often peaking in the high 90s. Preferring cooler temperatures I will should not expect to face anything warmer than 75 or less than 40 degrees F. Furthermore, since New Zealand and Australia are geographically diverse, many places can be visited all year. It is possible that I will face four season weather conditions on some of my rides on the South Island in New Zealand!

When it comes to Europe, it will get pretty hot. I won't ignore that. But hopefully, by leaving in the beginning of July I will avoid the major heat waves! Additionally, the eurovelo will be well traveled so I hope to meet plenty of fellow cyclists.

Where and How?
You haven't read my earlier posts! Take a look below and check it out.

Who?
Although I will not be becoming proficient in French, German, Dutch, Flemish, Greek or Maori (Native New Zealand), I will accomplish my primary goal of this trip, learn about the people and culture! Cycling through the small towns, I hope to visit the small cafes, take a dip at the local beaches, eat the local cuisine, and avoid every single tourist trap of my travels! And who knows, maybe I'll learn a word or two as well.

1 comment:

  1. Dude, this is crazy - and I love it. Hopefully I'll be around towards the end of your trip. If not, I'll definitely see you in Philly!

    Safe travels (and may your taint survive!)
    Saksa

    ReplyDelete