Friday, March 25, 2011

New Zealand 1, Pete 0


View Thames to Tauranga in a larger map


Mileage - 73 miles (Total 164)


I had one helluva a day on the bike today. I had an early start at Thames...stopping in at the bike shop one last time. I now know that my bike cannot handle some of the steep grades in the country...as my bike chain completely popped off after I tried climbing up Mel and Davids house. No problem though...just something to remember. 


I had a few curve balls today. The weather was much more wet and windy then the past few days. Since I took a number of backroads to avoid the main highway, I at times had a terrible headwind. I also learned that I got lucky the last few days with flat terrain. Today I went up a down countless hills...It was also a bit tough going down the SH2 because of the semis and traffic. Thankfully, this will probably be the must congested part of the trip. The South is less populated and should be more relaxing on the road. 


Tonight I am staying with two of my first warmshower hosts - Jillian and Kevin in Tauranga. We had a delectable stew, lots of potatoes, some sweet potatoes, and a hot fruit cake with vanilla yogurt. I am planning on taking a rest day tomorrow to recharge my muscles. Plus, its suppose to rain tomorrow, before a streak of some sunny days. 


Cheers mates! 

No comments:

Post a Comment