Thursday, March 24, 2011

Off to Thames!


View Orere to Thames in a larger map

Mileage: 46 miles (Total - 91 miles)

Today was another gorgeous ride through the country. Accompanied by the thousands of cows and sheep that I passed, I approached the spectacular Firth of Thames. Do you know the differences between a Firth and a Bay? Because I have no idea. Either way, it was a gorgeous day outside and I could not help myself from stopping every 100 ft to take a photo or two.

After eating my lunch of peanut butter sandwich and crackers along the beach and listening to a show of Aziz Ansari, I hit the Miranda back roads. There was a not a car in sight this morning. After passing through the busy SH 25 I quick approached the Coromandel Peninsula and Thames. After zooming through a one way bridge, I soon met up with my hosts Mel and David. Brining a local merlot,. Dave and I shared a delicious meal of sausages and has browns and a few export golds. We had a great conversation about my journey, local politics, and the U.S. Mel, who originates from Idaho, soon came home from work and we chatted away as well. They were such great help in my travels in New Zealand. I cannot wait to continue my way down to Tauranga!

 Off to Thames!
 Uphill I gooo
 A little blurry...but ignore me, awesome scenery! 


 The animals loved staring at me! 
 Just a few wild turkeys...
 Panorama of the Firth
 Awkward pose next to the firth 
 Some crazy purple flower 

 A giant fake seabird
 Lots of real seabirds!
 That's not sand....its seashells!
 Staying alive


A few friends I met along the way, have you ever heard a hundred cows moo at the same time?


My hosts Dave and Mel

1 comment:

  1. firth is a water passage where the tide meets a river current. I guess what we call the Delaware Bay could be the Firth of Delaware.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete