Thursday, July 7, 2011

Holland Border to Bodegraven

6.27

95 miles (4033 miles total)
I am not sure if I am in the Netherlands or Neverland. Yes, that sounds very corny, but it is very true. This place is unlike any place I have seen. I cycled for a good 13 hours today along the coastal inlets, dikes, canals, and countryside of Holland. There are many many cycling lanes, the problem is once you do cycle on a major road there is no relief from the cars who honk at you. I will not complain about this fact, just stating the facts.

From the border, I traveled North towards Rotterdam. Instead, I cycled along a number of cycling paths that crawl along the dikes. I passed through another fortress city later in the morning, this one build in the shape of a star. Finding it difficult to get to Rotterdam, I found a routes sign that goes from Brussels to Amsterdam! Just perfect, so I continued along the route, meandering along the countryside, until reaching the city of Dordrecht. I stopped in the old city center to talk to some local people who took a photo of me. It is strange saying outloud that I have one more day.... I continued through the city getting a delicious Holland hamburger and a soft serve ice cream. I temporarily lost the route, but found it as I crossed a bridge over a canal.

The countryside basically consists of a million islands. There are inland oceans, and thousands of canals of every size you can think. Many homes even have moats surrounding them. Continuing North, it was a neverending array of towns. The farmers live in these enormous rural villages. Sheep are kept in pastures in vacant lots in between the towns. People appear to have sheep eat away their grass, possibly replacing their lawn mowers.

I rode and rode looking for somewhere to camp, but it appeared as if every piece of land was taken. I can see now for myself why this country is considered so dense. Besides Vatican City, it is the most dense country in Europe. There are an infinite number of row homes as well, found interestingly in the smaller towns. I continued through darkness, looking for a site, I headed North towards Amsterdam. Eventually, I found a lake side park where I could camp. Home sweet home.





 Pastry break
                                                                Hello dutch donkey
 Made it to the Atlantic Ocean!

                                                                      Just hanging out!!
LF2b, my route to the end

1 comment: