Thursday, July 7, 2011

Bodegraven to Amsterdam

6.28
40 miles (4073 miles)

Here we go, last day.

Amsterdam, how sweet it is to be here at last! The elation I felt when I rode past the sign, welcoming me and my bicycle into the city, was indescribable. This is the culmination of 5 physically challenging, mentally exhausting, glorious, everlasting weeks. I will never ever forget this day, those few moments for the rest of my life.

Amsterdam certainly lived up to its reputation. The cycle lanes are spectacular in the city as well as in the countryside. The sheer number of cyclist is equally impressive. Men and women in business attire, children, even people on dates are riding their bikes. This was also my observation last night in the smaller cities, where saw large crowds of kids at night on bikes, spending time together, laughing and gossiping. The bicycle is an accepted replacement for a car. This morning I saw dozens of middle aged women on the cycle ways. This is something rarely seen in the U.S.

Back to today's ride, I began cycling in the park in a northernly direction. Without a map or GPS (the battery died), I simply used the sun for direction....Somehow, I managed to get back on the course of the lf2B; the Brussels to Amsterdam cycle route.

The cycle ways were a brilliant way to end the ride. I followed several canals into and out of towns. I just want to emphasize how surreal this was. The town seemed to follow the along side the canals, not the other way around. Each town is a single street, with a house on each side, and a canal next to each house on the inside and outside of the street. There are also an innumerable number of canals in the farm fields. There are no traditional city centers, like all of the other cities I visited. This was even the case in some larger towns. So I cycled along the canals, alongside the small boats, the tractors, and the Dutch people getting ready for their work day.

Reaching the suburbs, I read a sign that indicates Amsterdam...24 km!  I can "see the light at the end of the tunnel".  So I move on, cycling closer and closer to the city.  Passing larger suburban towns, I anticipate the city, but do not know what to expect. Finally, I see the Amsterdam sign!

I celebrate with a burger, fries, and a chocolate milk shake. After my victory meal, I head to the city center to begin my capital tour:  Amsterdam, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, and Copenhagen. I spent the day ride around the city center...seeing famous Cathedrals, the botantical garden, and parks. I ate plenty of ice cream and meandered around different parks and meeting places to find the perfect place to relax.

I met two interesting guys today as well. First, an American kid from Michigan saw my panniers and asked me where I was going. He told me his brother is cycling from China to Portugal and he is meeting him in Uzbekistan. Just the smallest bit jealous, I was mostly happy for his adventure because I know what he has to look forward too. I wished him the best of luck and a safe journey. Another man, a Dutch man, talked with me while riding as well. He told me about his trip from NY to Miami to D.C. by bike. He offered me a few words of advice of where to go in the city which I happily followed.

I later met Mirijn, my cs host. Just graduating from university, he opned his home to me for the night. We talked over a cup of tea, discussing the end of my trip. He also told me about his travels in Brazil, which sounded nothing short of incredible. I soon fell fast asleep on his Brazilian flag ladden couch, the end of this adventure...the beginning of my next!






 Typical holland cycle way

 Amsterdam!!!!!!!
 My final feast!

And my dessert

No comments:

Post a Comment