Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Conclusion

Hello everyone, It has been two weeks since I arrived home. I wanted to share some last thoughts...Here is a list of things I looked forward too and things that I missed that I wrote down right before I arrived home.

7/13
Things I look forward too:
A refrigerator – no more shopping 2x a day
My bed – no more looking for a place to sleep/wondering where I will sleep tonight
My girlfriend - Thanks for supporting me Holly!
My family – Thanks guys for everything! 
My friends – Thanks for listening to my rants the past two years
English – No more struggling to find someone who knows English
Routine – A comfort we all take for granted
Dentistry – My career, lets go
Baltimore – Ready to live in a new city
Chesapeake – Crabs! Seafood! Sailing!
Henry and Milo – my cats!
Jamis – my road bike
My trip – Looking back on it
Showering - This one does not need an explanation 

What I will miss:
Couchsurfing – Meeting new people in their homes
New places everyday
Cycling for 4+ hours daily
The mountains, valleys, hills, meadows, streams, rivers, glaciers, ancient volcanic ruins, pine forests
The animals – the praying mantus, kakapos, wekas, red tailed deer, opossum
The cherry trees
Waking up to the sun rise
Falling asleep after the sun set
Being in a new nation every 4 days
Being in a dozen cities/towns everyday
Being in the country side daily
Being under the sun for over 10 hours a day
Frozen caffee lattes
Lydle, Coop, Aldi
Going as far as my legs can take me 


I went for a ride for the first time since the end of my trip yesterday, cycling the commute that was the true beginning of my trip. It is indescribable how fulfilling it is to be home, knowing that I completed this dream of mine. I want to thank you all for following me. I could not have completed this trip without the support of everyone out there. 

I was very shocked and saddened by the incident in Oslo this past week. My thoughts and prayers go out to the people of Norway. There are many terrible things going on out in the world, but I have also learned there is much good. My safe journey home is proof of how kind, generous, and gracious man can be. Cycling touring is the very best way to travel and experience the world. I will never forget this time in my life and the people who helped me along the way. I know I will complete many more tours in the future and hope to help other cycling tourists and travelers. See you on the road! 

If you want to learn more about cycling touring, let me know! My email is pkrumbhaar@gmail.com. 

Now for the numbers: 

6554 kilometers
4073 miles
74 days of cycling
55 miles/day
47 beds
38 families
33 camp spots
30 ice cream cones
20 train trips
20 countries
11 capitals
10 meat pies
9 currencies
8 ferry rides (1 train ride on a ferry)
7 flights
6 pizzas
5 kakapoos
4 continents
3 oceans
2 legs
1 world
0 regrets





Home sweet home...



No comments:

Post a Comment