Thursday, July 7, 2011

Brussels to Hollands Border

6.26
62 miles (3938 miles total)



I am a day away from the end of this cycle journey. It is surreal writing these words as I lay in my tent. Before this trip, I though about it everyday for almost two years. In reality, it has been a miracle, everything I hoped and dreamed...but as my good old mom would say, "all good things must come to an end." But what ends, begins...I hope this is just a new beginning. Riding everyday, seeing so many new people, hearing so many new languages, experiencing so many new things, I have never felt so alive. I will complete this dream of mine. That makes me happy now and it will for many years to come. I hope I can ride my bike until I am 110, maybe even 115...

If there is one less I hope others learn from my trip - it is to never take your body for granted. Find the activity, sport, hobby that makes you feel great. We live in a world where we sit at our desks for 8 hours a day and attempt to relax by sitting the rest of the day in front of the electronic device of our choice. Our bodies are miracles, our life is a miracle. Find your passion and pursue it!

Concerning the riding of the day...I got a mid afternoon start, exploring the city after breakfast with Nick and Agnes. I visited a number of churches, cathedrals, the market place, city hall, city center, grand place, and the Manequin. My favorite place was the Grand Place, a square of beautifully decorated buildings. I saw the Manequinn, a statue of a boy peeing while eating a Belgian waffle with banannas and whipped cream. I am surely in Brussels.

I headed North to Holland. There were cycle lanes on all of the roads so I had no trouble navigating. The ride was a giant suburb. Once in awhile there would be a cow pasture in the middle of what seemed like a town. The traffic was also continous and I seemed to ride along an innumberable amount of round abouts. Once in Holland, the towns quickly vanished and I entered a national forest. Picking up a Klein Frita, the Dutch fries, I headed into the forest after one of my last loing rides.



 New York City
 The American Dream
Night in the forest

No comments:

Post a Comment