Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Down on the Jershey Shore

I have been back in the US for a week now. Now I am spending a few days with my family down on the beach in New Jersey. After almost 4 months of travel it feels good to lay on the beach and eat lots and lots of food. Little has changed back home, making the transition that much easier. I do miss riding, but am thinking ahead.

I have decided that one day I will sail around the world, hopefully with a bike on board. I have no idea when this will be, but it is in the distant future. I am reading a book called "My Old Man and the Sea," an account of a boy and his father's travel from New London, New England to Easter Island, around Cape Horn, back to the United States. As I begin living domestic life again, the fire inside me for the road, for the ocean, will grow only stronger.

I have many people to thank for my safe journey in Australia, New Zealand, and Europe. First, I would like to thank all of my hosts! My couchsurfing hosts, warmshower hosts, hosts that I have met on the road (the Koop family and Hungarian Motorcycle Club), thank you for everything! I seriously could not have completed this trip without your company, support, and help. Traveling alone is draining, cycling alone can be devastating. Every person I met, every host I talked too provided me with the energy to continue, the motivation to make it to Amsterdam. I hope to see all of you in the future, on the road or in my home. Secondly, I would like to thank my family, friends, and my girlfriend. Without the support from the people I love back home, I could not have even started my trip. The hardest part of a tour is the first 10 meters, preparing to leave your home, your friends, your family. Thank you everyone for your support! It was a comfort knowing so many people were thinking about me back home...my thoughts were with you every pedal stroke.

No comments:

Post a Comment