Monday, December 20, 2010

Istanbul

So I have done some research and I have almost finalized my route for the trip! The Australia and New Zealand routes are a little more limited, by the possibilities for the Eurotrip are endless! I was always pretty certain I would ride along the one of the Eurovelo paths. If you are not familiar with the Eurovelo, it is a cycling trail network throughout the continent that consist of 12 trails. The trails have a few features that I find especially attractive. First, the trails span the entire continent, allowing me to cross in a realistic time frame. Secondly, they attract other bike tourists, which will make the trip more safe and fun. I am planning now to fly into Istanbul and take some type of train to Romania, where I will hop onto the Eurovelo 6, the Atlantic to Black Sea Route. The Eurovelo 6 crosses through a number of different countries in both Eastern and Western Europe.

Initially, I planned on riding along the Eurovelo 8, the mediterranean sea route. A few weeks ago I purchased the eurovelo map and learned that about 90% of the eurovelo 8 is not finished! Thinking more about the trip, I actually think the Eurovelo 6 is the best option. First, completely intact: http://www.eurovelo6.org. Secondly, the trip looks awesome! I know virtually nothing about Eastern Europe....Serbia, Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary...I think most people still associated with the corrupt and communist Soviet era. I know this will make my journey that much more interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment